Monday, April 23, 2012

NAB 2012

One of the more interesting booths at NAB 2012, TVLogic's doll display.
Working in business-to-business publishing means going to trade shows. And when you cover a variety of industries, as we do here at Lionheart, that means frequent travel to trade shows. In fact, the editors and others staffers at Lionheart cover some of the largest trade shows held in North America, including the World of Concrete and the NAB Show. As executive editor of Markee 2.0, it is my pleasure to cover NAB.

Actually, as you may have read in my March/April editor's letter, this was my first chance to attend NAB since joining Markee. I must say, I have covered many large trade shows in the past, but none seem to have the energy of NAB. The attendees were fully enthused to be there, the exhibitors were excited to greet everyone, and the exhibits themselves were the largest and most impressive I've seen. The only down side I could find was that all of the sights and sounds from the equipment manufacturers, software developers and components producers was a bit overwhelming. The best way to get through it, I found, was to narrow my focus by industry and map out my daily tours accordingly. After all, the exhibits were open for four days, so there was plenty of time to see it all – barely.

What I came away with – as is the intention of most editors who attend such events – is a working knowledge of new technologies available for my readers, a glimpse of where the industries Markee covers are headed, a new appreciation for the work of all those involved in TV and film production, and a notebook filled with article ideas. I can't wait to get started!

I want to thank the NAB staff and organizers for producing an outstanding event. And I wish to thank all the companies and their representatives who took the time to speak with me. Look for post-event coverage on our website and in our e-newsletter. (Sign up for the newsletter here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment